Being environmentally-conscious doesn’t have to be confined to your blue bin. If you look closely, not so environmentally-friendly materials, such as micro-plastics, are hidden in everyday products. Follow Brittany’s Green Routine to learn how you can reduce waste, phase out hidden plastics and simplify your health and beauty routine! And check out our Pinterest boards for even more DIY inspiration!
Everyone has routines and once you start, they are pretty hard to break. Since working at I Love A Clean San Diego, I’ve been inspired to be more eco-friendly in my day-to-day life, but I didn’t know where do start. Then I realized I could start by having what I now call my “green routine”. What is a green routine you might ask? A green routine is a type routine you create which benefits the environment. I realized I could save money while also being eco-friendly by creating some beauty products with ingredients I already have in my house. For this week’s blog, I wanted to change it up and share some of my favorite DIY recipes I incorporate in my daily green routine!
Brown Sugar & Honey Lip Scrub: Need to get rid of chapped lips? This is my favorite lip scrub
What you’ll need:
1 teaspoon of brown sugar
1 teaspoon of honey
Mix them together, lather your lips with the scrub, rinse with warm water, and pucker up! Your lips will feel moisturized, soft, and not to mention, this scrub is tasty!
Honey, Nutmeg, Cinnamon Face Mask: This mask is perfect for when you experience breakouts or are looking to brighten up your skin tone! You can use this has a spot treatment or as a mask. Honey is not only hydrating, but it helps soothe inflammation as well as fight against bacteria – that’s why it’s great for so many things! For sensitive skin I recommend leaving this on for 2-3 minutes.
What you’ll need:
Coconut Oil: Plain and simple, a jar of this does wonders and is extremely moisturizing. Not only is this something I cook with but I use it for a variety of things which cuts down the number of products I use and minimizes the waste I create.
- Skin Moisturizer: After a good (plastic-free) skin exfoliant, I take a dab to keep my skin smelling great and soft. A little goes a long way!
- Hair treatments: I’m notorious for using heat products on my hair, so every once and a while I like to give my hair a little bit of love. After washing and conditioning my hair, I rub coconut oil through the ends of my hair to prevent breakage. You could also use coconut oil as a hair mask and rubbing the oil on your scalp helps with dandruff. I recommend keeping the oil in your hair for around ten minutes then rinsing.
- Lip moisturizer: Instead of using chapstick before bed, I use coconut oil, sometimes with a dab of honey, as a replacement. Be sure to pair it with the brown sugar lip scrub mentioned above!
- Makeup remover: This is something I would normally spend a lot of money on. Instead, I take a small amount with my fingertips and rub it on the areas of my face until it melts. Then I take a wash cloth to wipe it off with warm water. That’s it!
And Guys, don’t worry, we have a recipe for you this year’s No Shave November too! This recipe sent to us by Alexandra Engel to help keep your beards fresh and clean. Blend together, rub through your beard, and rinse.
- 3 fl. oz. Sweet Almond oil
- 25 oz. Vitamin E oil
- 25 oz. Argan oil
- 30 drops Tea tree essential oil – prevents ingrown hairs and fights breakouts
- 30 drops Rosemary essential oil – stimulates hair growth
- ~20 drops Spruce essential oil (optional)
- ~20 drops Pine essential oil (optional)
- ~20 drops Cypress essential oil – astringent and antiseptic for oily skin.
- ~20 drops Bergamot essential oil – antibiotic and deodorizing.
I hope you enjoy my favorite green routine recipes as much as I do. Not only are you saving green bills but you are also helping to keep the environment clean by eliminating micro plastics and cutting down on waste! For more fun DIY beauty tips, crafts, and green living tips, be sure to check out I Love A Clean San Diego’s Pinterest boards!
3 responses to “Brittany’s Green Routine”
I’m hoping to learn more about making my own cosmetics and hygiene care. Thanks for the tips!
Thanks, Danielle! We’re happy to hear that you enjoyed the blog. Be sure to check out our Pinterest page for more eco-friendy DIY tips https://www.pinterest.com/iloveacleansd/ 🙂