Outreach Assistant II – Multilingual: Spanish, Tagalog, Vietnamese (3 open positions)
I Love A Clean San Diego’s Outreach Assistant will support the Education and Community Engagement departments to implement programs, events and activities. Duties will include outreach efforts including door-to-door canvassing, and may include attending booths, events, and cleanups throughout San Diego County.
Reports to: Waste Recovery Programs Manager
Type of Employment: Hourly, non-exempt, part-time; estimated two shifts per week, 4-6 hours per shift
Pay Range: $19 per hour
The City of San Diego is partnering with I Love A Clean San Diego (ILACSD) to develop multicultural engagement models for multi-family apartment, condo community, and commercial business districts to help make recycling more equitable across San Diego and improve recycling participation from residents and businesses. ILACSD is looking to hire bilingual Outreach Team Members who can fluently speak and write in English, with Spanish, Tagalog, and/or Vietnamese as a second language. The Outreach Team Member will conduct door-to-door recycling outreach with other members of the team, providing residents and businesses with multilingual recycling information and distributing free brochures and collection tote bags. Tasks may also include translating and transcribing outreach documents, email communication, and phone calls. This position will be January – June 2023 in the afternoon and evening on weekdays. There may be an opportunity to extend work beyond this timeframe. ILACSD will do our best to provide a set schedule that stays consistent week to week, but please be aware that we may occasionally ask Outreach Team Members to cover shifts that are outside of this schedule. Team members may also able to add additional outreach activities per availability, including attending fairs, festivals, cleanups, and public events to promote environmental sustainability in San Diego County.
- Fluency in English (speaking, reading, and writing) and Spanish, Tagalog, and/or Vietnamese (speaking; reading and writing preferred). Team members will be expected to have advanced bilingual conversations with the ability to explain government recycling requirements and general recycling guidelines, and may also be asked to translate documents. Language fluency assessment will be included in the screening process.
- Flexible schedule January – June 2023, Mondays through Fridays, 1:00 PM – 8:30 PM. You are still encouraged to apply if you have minimal time conflicts with the hours above.
- Ability to walk and/or stand for up to 4 hours in the rain and/or sun. Ability to lift up to 40 pounds, and carry up to 20 pounds for duration of the shift.
- Reliable transportation and ability to travel within the City of San Diego.
- Access to a cell phone and frequent access to a computer. Team members are expected to respond to staff emails within 48 hours, complete timecards and mileage reimbursements within biweekly and monthly due dates.
- Ability to professionally perform work representing the City of San Diego’s recycling programs and I Love A Clean San Diego.
- Excellent customer service skills; engaging and positive attitude. Confident with in-person communication with others. Comfortability speaking in front of large or small groups. Effective communication skills and experience with diverse audiences.
- Interest and knowledge about the environment or recycling.
- Willingness and ability to perform other duties as assigned.
- Resume required.
- Previous outreach, presentation and customer service experience.
- Willing to work weekend outreach events and cleanups.
HOW TO APPLY:
If interested in applying, send resume to Amy Unruh at email@example.com.
No calls please.
I Love A Clean San Diego provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, ancestry, gender, sex, gender identity or expression, age, medical condition, sexual orientation, marital status, citizenship, pregnancy, physical or mental disability, genetic information, veteran status, military status, caregiver status or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws.